Thursday, October 22, 2009

Day 1: Shopping Spree

In case you have not read Curly Girl or have no interest in doing so I will give you a brief summary of what Lorraine says to avoid and what to look for in your hair care products.

She explains that many products contain non-water soluble ingredients that over time will build up, weigh down, and dull the look of your hair. The 3 main ingredients: sulfates (sodium lauryl, ammonium laureth), alcohol, and silicone's (any ingredient that ends in -cone with the most common I've found to be dimethicone). The sulfates are harsh cleaning agents that strip the hair of needed oils while the silicone's over time cause build up and coat the hair in a wax like substance. As alcohol dehydrates the body when you drink it, it also dehydrates your hair when you use it.

You want to keep an eye out for disodium EDTA, citric acid, cocoamidopropyl betaine, and decyl polyglycose. Along with natural ingredients like wheat germ, soy protein, and amino acids. I won't give you her full list or explanation; for that you can read the book.

I headed to Target and started with the high end top of the line shampoos and conditioners. My first thought was that the salon professionals would have the best products; nope, nodda, zilch. John Frieda, Nexxus, Infusium, and even Tresmee all contained silicone's. Even the non-salon brands like Patene, Dove, Aussie, Herbal Essence and Gardier, my favorite, sported the same bad ingredients. I was a little put out that all the name brands were robbing my hair of essential oils and in a way my money!

As I continued to peruse the isles I came across Catwalk: Oatmeal and Honey Conditioner. It was perfect! All natural ingredients with no sulfates or -cones, YAY! I was severely disappointed when I noticed that a 8.5 fl. oz bottle was $14.49. I might have considered the splurge; however, I have long curly hair and could kill that bottle in a little over a week. I'm open to changing my ways but I don't think my wallet could handle that much change.

I finally found solace in a cheap less than $2 bottle of Suave. Almost every bottle of Suave I picked up contained no silicone's and no bad sulfates. In the end I bought 2. Suave Humecants and Sauve Natural Lavender. Both offered me no harsh chemicals and cleaning agents as well as adding some proteins, amino acids, and lavender extract. I can use the Humecants for mixing with other natural ingredients like lemon juice or vinegar and the lavender when I want a little relaxation or a softer smell. Lorraine highly recommends natural lavender so it was a bonus to find it IN my conditioner.

I must admit I was shocked at how few products offered what Lorraine recommends and how expensive the all natural products cost. I was able to find something cheap that works and for that I am grateful. Hopefully after a month or so I will have luscious, healthy, and shiny curls because starting tomorrow morning I will officially be SHAMPOO FREE!

I'm keeping my fingers crossed!

3 comments:

  1. Well done, Erin! Have you tried any of the Deva products yet? Not cheap but well worth a try! You can get them at Amazon for cheaper than if you buy them at the salon. Ulta carries some of the products too. Also, if you haven't already try to find a salon in your area who has a stylist trained in the Curly Girl cut and styling. It will be transformative! Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I use Suave for the co-wash and Kiss my face for the "conditioner" part. It's not the BEST combo, but it was cheap and all the drugstore had that wasn't, like you said, super expensive. I don't use ANY styling products except the conditioner as leave-in and my hair stays curly for 2-3 days without rewashing. I think Whole Foods might be good for some reasonable alternatives, too. The EO line is supposedly all sulfate and -cone free. I haven't tried Deva because of the $$$, but it is on my dream list!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I feel the same about Deva... one day I might save up for it but I'm a cheapo and have a hard time spending that much on conditioner. :)

    ReplyDelete