Thursday, November 12, 2009

DAY 22: Fixing My Mistakes

After the fun I had with baking soda yesterday I could not wait to get home and rinse my hair last night. Almost as soon as I walked in the door I hopped in the shower to rinse the damage down the drain. I blot dried it and then left it alone for the rest of the night. I didn't want to gel, plop, and style again for fear of causing breakage. It was only slightly damp when I crawled into bed at 9:30 and when I woke up it was a bit kinky. It laid this way and that way and it was frizzed to the max. Instead of possibly hurting it more I opted to do nothing more than a cold water rinse to give it some time to recover from my fiasco yesterday. I blot dried with a t-shirt, gel plopped, and then let it sit on my t-shirt while I got ready for work. The only time I've touched it since plopping was to get it off my neck or brush a still damp curl out of my ear.

I am surprised at how nice the curls look. The baking soda spritz really did a nice job cleaning my hair and it's nice and shiny now that the baking soda has all been rinsed out. The curls are pretty and soft and springy.

I don't know if its the products of conditioner and gel that I'm using or my hair type but I'm finding that I need to do a cleanse treatment every 3-4 days. My curls seem to get weighed down easily and like to be cleaned more often than what the book talks about; which is every 5- 7 days. I realize all curls are different and I need to listen to what mine are telling me, I just found it interesting and was wondering if it was the same for other Curly Girls?

My trip to the health food store was a hit! I was able to find pure lavender essential oil, pure aloe vera, almond oil, and powered eggs. I was thinking I would spend around $50-$75; I've never been to a health food store before. Although the total was still $30 I was ecstatic that is $20 cheaper than I thought. When I ran numbers for the amount it cost to purchase shampoo for a year and the amount of what I spent for what I'm hoping is a 6 month stock, I'll save over $100 a year!!!

I'm sure you're wondering what all of this natural stuff is for; I plan to use them in recipes to moisturize my hair in the coming days and months. Now that I've stopped using shampoo and I'm making trips to a health food store for things like powered eggs, I'm really starting to feel like some sort of hippie. The thought of it all makes me want to go hug a tree. :)

Curls: 7
Frizz: 3
Weather: 39 F, Sunny, 77% humidity
Stress: surprisingly low, I think it was the extra sleep I got last night.

No comments:

Post a Comment