Wednesday, December 9, 2009

Day 49: All You Need Is Love

Last night I was able to put together a moisturizing treatment and this time my hair did not smell of soured milk and baby puke. I tried Curly Girl's Love is in the Hair treatment. Mix 4 tablespoons of olive or almond oil, 4 tablespoons of your favorite conditioner, and 2-3 drops of your favorite musk perfume or essential oil. Mix well and apply to wet hair. Leave on for several hours or overnight and rinse and condition with conditioner mixed with lemon juice and vinegar.

I used almond oil, Suave Naturals conditioner, and lavender essential oil. I took a nice hot shower to relax myself and open the pores on my scalp and applied the mixture when I got out. I did not blot dry or touch my hair before applying; I simply tipped my head over the tub, scooped out a small amount and evenly spread it through out my hair. I massaged it into my scalp a little then carefully ran it through my ends. Once my hair was completely coated with the entire amount (Reminder: I have long hair and required the full amount, shorter hair uses 1/2 the mixture) I placed a towel on my shoulders and let it sit over night.

Keep in mind that this mixture is greasy, due to the oil, so your hair will be slimy ALL night. While awake I let my hair sit on a towel and made sure not to lay back on anything. When I went to bed I wrapped my pillow in t-shirts and gently wrapped my head in a towel. I wrapped my hair because I didn't want it all over my face all night; the last thing I need is more oil on my face causing a breakout.

When I got up this morning I had dreadlocks of oiled hair; however, it didn't smell so I didn't complain. I rinsed really well with water and then did a co-wash that consisted of 1/4 cup of conditioner, 1 tablespoon of lemon juice, and 1 tablespoon of white vinegar. Again, I rinsed really well and then did a cold water rinse. I blot dried with a t-shirt, did a light gel plop, and left it alone to see the result. It still looks semi dready but it feels super soft. I think the weight of the mixture stretched my curls; although, over the next couple days they will probably spring back.

If you touch it you can still feel the oil but it doesn't look greasy or nasty and it smells great! I can feel it weighing on my head so I've pulled the front back and out of my face for today. Tomorrow and Friday I will probably do nothing more than a cold water spritz and rinse so it should lighten up and I'll be able to leave all of it down; I hope.

I can't say for certain how I like this treatment quite yet. Since I don't smell, it already beats the last. In the future I might play with the ingredient amounts until I find a mixture that works best with my hair. The initial result is nice and gave me the moisture I wanted and added a little shine.

Curl: 3
Frizz: 0
Weather: 48F, windy, 71% humidity
Stress: Low

No comments:

Post a Comment