Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Day 83: Avocado Wrap

My attempt at the Avocado Wrap recipe was a complete mess. The outcome of the experience was what I wanted and needed, moisture, but the process caused me to have to sweep and mop my kitchen floor and try to keep my dog from eating everything.

The recipe calls for 1 avocado peeled and cored mixed in a blender with 3-4 tablespoons of honey and 8-10 drops of your favorite nut oil (I chose almond oil). After coating your hair wrap it all in plastic wrap and leave it on your hair for 20-30 min. [The Green Diva uses yogurt in place of oil and has a similar result of softness, it also sounds like it had a creamer result.] I believe that the ideal consistency of the mixture was suppose to be similar to guacamole although when you have a horrible blender, as I do, it comes out to more of a chunky glob of I don't know what. I doubled the amount of honey and oil to help create a more fluid like consistency but I'm not sure how much it helped.
My attempt to spread this glob in and all over my hair was only some what successful as a lot of it ended up on the floor. I ended up piling as much of my hair as I could onto the top of my head and taking handfuls of it and trying to use it as a paste to hold my hair in place. I coated as much of my hair as I could but got a lot of it on the floor, in the sink, down my bra, and all over my shirt and hands. I also had to fight the dog from eating what was falling onto the floor. I wrapped it as best as I could with plastic wrap and let it sit for the allotted 30 min. before rinsing and washing as normal. The Green Diva and A Girl and Her Curl use shower caps for this; I wish Curly Girl had mentioned that it would have made it SO much easier!When you have small chunks of avocado in your hair the time it takes to rinse it all out can take up to 20 minutes; that's how long it took me to reach the point where I felt it was rinsed thoroughly. After a REALLY good rinse I did a co-wash as I normally would and blot dried with a t-shirt. I wrapped my pillow and t-shirt and went to bed with my hair damp.

When I got up this morning I did a cold water spritz, a very light gel plop and let it be free. The curl is more of a wave but it's a cute, funky wave and I like it. My hair is definitely soft and I don't feel any sort of product build up on my scalp; my scalp looks clean and feels healthy. The outcome was a success and the best part is that it doesn't smell.

Since I added extra oil and honey I'm guessing that I will need to do a lemonade or baking soda wash sooner than normal. When I do this treatment the next time, yes despite the mess there will be a next time, I plan to use a food processor instead of a blender. My hope is that by using a processor I will be able to stick to the actual ingredient guidelines making the mixture easier to work with and the results might last a little longer.

All in all I'm happy with the result and plan to use this recipe again. My tips: mix/blend/process all the ingredients together really well and give yourself plenty of time to rinse it out.

Curl: 4
Frizz: 1
Weather: 25F, snowing, 76% humidity
Stress: Moderate

No comments:

Post a Comment